Securing Your Password
According to global risk-management firm Deloitte, 90 percent of passwords are vulnerable to attack and hacking. Passwords are the gateway to your digital life, behind the lock of a password is your social media information, emails, financial records, medical records, bank accounts. It is absolutly crucial that you have a strong password to protect yourself. After all, you wouldnt use a $2 padlock to secure Fort Knox.
Here are some tips on keeping your password secure:
- Use the SIU Password Policy. The SIU policy is a great guideline to use for all your passwords.
- Change your password regularly.
- Use seperate passwords for different accounts. If a hacker gains access to one of your accounts, theres no reason they should have access to everything!
- Focus on length! The longer your password, the longer it would take to be cracked. Complexity does not always beat length.
- Use a password manager! Password managers help you keep track of all the different passwords you have.
Please visit Intel Security's "Change Your Password Day" They have some great information on passwords, and a "password tester" to tell you how secure your password is. You can visit them at: https://passwordday.org/en/